What are the 10 best lower back pain relief exercises?
What is Back Pain?
Back pain is one of the most common complaints. The symptoms range from mild aches and pains to severe pain. You may also experience numbness and tingling in your lower limbs. Lower back pain is caused by injury to a muscle or ligament.
The lower back, called the lumbar region, starts below the rib cage. Most injuries, conditions, or diseases are often linked to lower back muscles or tendons in the back.
What are all common causes of back pain?
• Muscle strain is the most often caused due to back pain.
• Sometimes, it is also caused by a condition called “sciatica,” It is often a result of repeated movements such as lifting heavy objects and lying in positions that place pressure on the back or lower back.
• Some people might even strain their back by coughing, sneezing, twisting, or bending.
• Injury due to an accident where the bones in the spine break up, resulting in a fracture. Certain conditions such as spondylolysis or osteoporosis are high chances of getting fractures.
• Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis that causes lower back pain.
• Herniated disc due to slipped, ruptured, or bulge disc and degenerated disc disease due to wear away spine.
• Osteoarthritis is also one of the causes of back pain in the spine region.
• Back pain is integrated with Core muscles or abdominal muscles. When the core muscles are weak, it affects ligaments, spinal bones, and discs, which causes a lack of stability, eventually causing back or lower back pain.
Best way to plan your back pain exercise with physiotherapy
If you have pain in your back, there are many ways to treat upper left back pain and improve your range of motion. If you are experiencing pain from straining or spraining your back, you should consult an experienced physiotherapist who helps plan specific activities to relieve your back pain. With physiotherapy for back pain, people can easily find flexibility and gradually feel decreased pain.
Physiotherapists are trained to diagnose even the strangest back pain. To correctly manage your back, they have an in-depth understanding of the anatomy and biomechanics of the back and lower back.
Recommended physiotherapy for back pain exercises by a physical therapist will strengthen your lower back and relieve pain.
Here is a list of 10 back pain exercises in physiotherapy
Below are the most effective physiotherapy for back pain exercises-
1. Cat and Camel exercise
• For this exercise, you must get down on the floor on all fours.
• Place your hands under your shoulders and your knees beneath your hips.
• Gently lift your hip for the camel-like hump; your head will move down.
• Do this movement for ten counts.
• From this position, pull your back down and arch your back like a cat. Your shoulders and head will be pushed up.
• Do this position for ten counts.
2. Bird and Dog exercise
• Position yourself on all four hands and knees on the floor.
• Make sure your knees are under your hips and your hands are under your shoulders.
• Extend your right arm and left leg so that they are parallel to the floor.
• Make sure the supporting arm, leg, and hips are stable.
• Hold this position for 10 to 15 counts.
• Repeat this movement on another side of the arm and leg for 10 to 15 counts.
3. Core Strengthening back pain exercise in physiotherapy
• Lie on your back with your knees bent.
• Cross your arms across your chest.
• Tighten the abdominal muscles for proper movement.
• Lift your head and upper back off the floor.
• Hold for about 3 seconds.
• Slowly lower your upper body down to the floor.
• Make sure to keep your neck and shoulders relaxed and lift your abdominal muscles.
4. Hamstring stretch
• To begin with, lie down on your back and raise your right leg.
• Move your right leg with both hands beneath your knee.
• Make sure your lift leg is bent with your foot on the floor.
• Gently pull your right leg towards you by keeping it straight.
• Repeat this position with another leg.
• Hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Back Extension Exercise
• Can do standing position back extension.
• Begin with hands on the lower back.
• Slowly arch backward position without any difficulty.
• Do this for five seconds.
• Return to the starting position.
• Repeat this five times.
6. Periformis stretching
• Lie down on your back with your legs straight.
• Slightly pull the knee towards the chest.
• From the left hand, grasp the knee and pull it towards the left.
• Hold the stretching position.
• Repeat for the other side.
• Start by placing your forearms on the ground.
• Make sure the elbows are aligned below the shoulder, and the arms should be parallel to the body.
• Raise your pelvis and knees off the ground with your toes on the floor.
• Try to keep your body as flat as possible without any discomfort.
• Hold this position for 30 seconds.
8. Superman Posture exercise
• Lie down on your stomach with your face down.
• Now, raise your shoulders with your arms extended in front of you.
• Keep your head in a neutral position.
• By looking at the floor, lift your arms and legs towards the ceiling.
• Hold it for 30 seconds.
• Return to the starting position.
• Repeat the exercise ten times.
9. SLR (Straight Leg Raise) exercise
• Lie down on your back. (Can recommend a pillow for better comfort)
• Keep your knees bent at a 90-degree angle, placing your feet flat on the floor.
• Slide out one leg, and raise the leg slightly.
• Make sure to keep your leg full straight while lifting your leg high. Pause.
• Gradually bring down the leg in a balanced manner.
• Repeat five times.
• Do this for another leg.
10. Bridging Exercise
• Lie down on your back.
• Bend your knees with your foot flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
• Keep your hands at your sides. Press your feet to the floor and slowly lift your hip until your knees are aligned with your shoulders.
• Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds.
• Lower down.
Several back pain exercises in physiotherapy relieve the series of back pain or lower back pain, injury due to an accident, fracture, etc. Simple physiotherapy for back pain will help perform these exercises smoothly and intensify a complete rehabilitation program.
Back Pain Exercise in Physiotherapy & Back Strengthening
Transverse Abdominal March for Back Pain & Back Strengthening
Lie down on your back, knees bent. Bring your belly button nearer your spine to tighten your abdominal muscles. Slowly march by lifting one leg off the ground and then switching to the other leg. During this exercise, continue to pull your belly button toward your spine. On each side, repeat ten times. Perform this exercise twice a day. It’s an effective back pain exercise in physiotherapy.
Wall Squats for Lower Back Pain & Back Strengthening
Stand with your back against the wall and your feet about 1-2 feet away from the wall. Squat half the way down, ensuring your knees don't go past your feet. Hold for ten seconds, and repeat ten times more. Perform this exercise twice a day.
Transverse Abdominal Contraction for Lower Back Pain & Back Strengthening
Lie down on your back, knees bent and feet flat. Pull your belly button towards your spine to tighten your abdominal muscles. Perform this exercise twice a day with the help of a physical therapist.
In conclusion, back or lower back pain is a frequent, debilitating, and often painful condition that can be improved by physiotherapy for back pain. Physiotattva will always recommend the best and most straightforward lower back exercises to manage pain and enhance core strength, mobility, and flexibility. Physiotattva will always prescribe the most appropriate upper left back pain treatment for patients during their care.
Frequently Asked Question
What physiotherapy for back pain exercises is suitable for severe lower back pain?
These are some of the back pain exercises in physiotherapy that can give you relief from back pain. Start with simple stretching, walking, bridging, pelvic tilts, and modified plank.
Which physiotherapy for back pain is best?
Physiotherapy for back pain exercises that work best are -
- Hip Stretch
- Toe Touch
- Cobra Stretch
Can physiotherapy fix lower back pain?
Research has shown that physical exercise has been very effective in terms of treating lower back pain. Physiotherapy for back pain might be one of the most effective treatments for healing back pain.
How do I strengthen my lower back physio?
- Some of the joint exercises to strengthen your lower back
- Superman pose
- Lower back rotational stretch
- Cat Camel Stretch
Do stretches help lower back pain?
Stretching has been one of the most helpful exercises to get relief from back pain. Sometimes, weak back muscles cause back pain. Strengthening your back muscles helps in getting rid of back pain.