Exercises for Toes, Feet & Ankle: Strengthen and Pain Relief
In our activities, we may strain our feet and ankles. Strain can cause significant discomfort for people who need to be on their feet for most of the day. It can hinder activities such as walking, jogging, and sleeping. It can result in a loss of workplace efficiency and other scenarios.
However, simple home remedies such as exercises can prevent injuries and strains on our feet. Read on to know more.
Why Foot Exercises Important
Feet help us get around and perform various tasks and activities with ease. It is also prone to several injuries, such as strains, tendonitis, and fractures. It can be a result of issues in diet, nutritional intake of the body, and physical barriers, among many other reasons.
Feet exercises and ankle exercises help reduce such injuries. They help improve mobility in injuries and chronic illnesses such as arthritis. Foot exercises help maintain movement in joints and facilitate easy movement.
Strengthening feet exercise and ankle exercise can also help strengthen bones, muscles, and joints, reducing the risk of injury or tear in such areas. Foot exercises help improve body function by strengthening it and allowing greater flexibility that enables the body to reduce strain. Exercises to strengthen feet and ankles have been most important to handle pain.
10 Best Exercises for Your Toes, Feet, and Ankle
While it is difficult to dedicate time and space to the body, it is essential to incorporate some simple exercises to facilitate better functioning. Here is a list of simple activities you can do at home or at work for short periods. Toe workouts reduce injury, refresh your brain and other parts, and reduce fatigue.
- To begin this toe exercise, sit on a chair with your feet flat on the ground
- Now raise your heels to an extent where only the balls of your toe are on the floor. Hold for a few seconds
- Point your toes up until only the big toe and the second toes balls are on the ground
- Curl your toes under while keeping your heel off the ground until the top of the toes touches the ground. Hold for a few seconds.
- Repeat toe exercise.
- To begin this toe workout, sit in a chair with your feet on the floor.
- Spread your toes as wide as you can for a few seconds.
- Repeat the toe workout.
Toe exercises can help you improve control over your toe muscle.
- Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the ground.
- Place a towel under your feet.
- Now hold the towel with one foot and with the other. Try to lift the towel with your toes.
This exercise will help you increase muscle strength on the top of your feet and toes.
The cord that runs from your heel into the calf muscles is called the Achilles tendon. Strengthening it can improve calf, ankle, and heel flexibility and help reduce the possibility of muscle cramps or tendonitis. Exercises for ankle pain are an excellent part of a routine of exercises for ankle pain.
- Face a wall and stand with arms stretched out on the wall.
- Place one foot behind you with the knees straight.
- Bend the other knee.
- Lean forward with your hips until you feel a pull in the Achilles tendons.
- Move around to figure out the weight and accordingly perform it.
- Hold the position for as long as comfortable and repeat.
Feet exercise helps strengthen the lower leg muscles in the feet.
- Sit on the floor with your feet stretched out.
- Wrap your feet with a towel and hold on to both ends.
- Gently pull the towel towards you.
- This should cause your upright toes to move towards the body
- Hold for a few seconds and repeat until you feel a gentle stretch in the back of your feet
This exercise will help you increase mobility in the ankle.
- Begin by sitting or standing comfortably.
- Now lift one foot in the air gently, and perform circles with your ankle rotating them in one direction.
- Do it a few times.
- Switch legs and repeat the same.
Ensure to balance the weight safely on each leg to avoid any complications.
Foot and ankle exercises aim to strengthen the ankle and the leg muscles.
- Stand with the feet slightly wider than the shoulders.
- Place your hands on your thighs and bend the knees gently a little.
- Keeping the toes on the ground, lift one heel and slowly lower it back down.
- Repeat a few times.
This particular exercise helps in mobility and strengthening the ankle and feet. Toe exercise also helps increase control over muscles in the toes.
- Sit on a chair with your feet on the floor.
- Gently raise one foot slightly in the air.
- Start writing the alphabet with your toes.
- This is a fun exercise and can help reduce stress.
- Repeat with the other leg!
Tennis Ball Roll
While rolling the ball, focus on painful areas on the bottom of your foot. Tennis ball roll is the best toe exercise.
- Sit on the floor with your feet flat on the floor.
- Place a golf or tennis ball on the floor in front of you.
- Place one foot on the ball.
- Roll the ball around with your foot.
- Do this for a few minutes until the pain becomes gentle, and you feel your muscles relaxing and stretching on both legs.
One Leg Balance
- Stand with your back against a wall.
- Cross your left leg over your right leg at your ankle.
- Point the toes of your left foot and push them against the floor, so your toenails are against the floor. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Relax your toes and repeat ten times on each foot.
The Bottom Line
Ankle and foot exercises for pain are a great way of taking care of your feet. Foot exercises for pain help reduce stiffness and ankle pain and help strengthen the joints and muscles. These exercises are easy to perform and can be performed at any time of day, at the person's convenience.
However, it is essential to understand the body's needs and the extent to which it can perform so that it is not strained. It is also necessary to contact a physiotherapist and get the proper exercise and physiotherapy treatment guidelines at home or in the clinic to relieve pain.
Physiotattva provides proper guidelines for physiotherapy exercises, home physiotherapy, and physiotherapy at the clinic with an expert physiotherapist.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I strengthen my weak ankles and feet?
Foot and ankle exercises can strengthen your body through simple home flexing, lifting, and rotational movements. With this, proper posture, rest, appropriate footwear, and a nutritious diet can help straighten the ankle while engaging in activities.
What's the best exercise for your feet?
Simple exercises that help increase mobility and strengthen the joints are good exercises.